Both Lifehacker and Venturebeat outpaced TechCrunch in referrals
How about that.
It’s a textbook Tim Cook supply-chain move: selling the last generation’s hardware at a lower price point to expand marketshare.
According to founder Mike McCauley, Amazon’s Locker program poses the greatest threat competitively, but he actually sees it as an advantage. “They opened up a whole new market for us because they have 30 percent of the commerce volume,” McCauley said. “The other scattered 70 percent don’t have the order volume to justify building a network of kiosks.” “In that way, we’re kind of like an open platform.”
Interesting new YC startup.
Post a photo of a Shake Shack burger to Instagram, Path, Google , Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Foodspotting and now Medium, plus perhaps I still use Flickr or a service like Picturelife. The restaurant might collect those photos via Chute or Olapic. I can mix the burger photos to make a photo collage on Mixel. I can get into my opinion about the restaurant on Foursquare or Yelp or debate the best burger in the city with only smart people I let in on Branch…and also Twitter, and maybe Quora. Someone else will consume that content on any of the above sites, or Flipboard, Pulse, Bloglovin or whatever I cross post to Twitter or Facebook which have both become firehoses of everything, uncurated. Am I leaving anything out?
There is a differentiation going on.
We’ve only said this 9,000 times, but market share numbers do not mean that Android users are buying apps. Until Android users buy more apps (and Android isn’t a cesspool of malware and piracy and fragmentation), developers will continue to ship for iOS first and maybe Android later if they’re bored and there’s nothing good on TV.
There are more parameters to the attractivity of a platform than just market share. This is neither new nor hard to understand.
I think an even better solution would be to remove the password completely, allowing users to login with only an email address. Each time a user needs to login, they enter their email address and receive a login link via email.
Clever idea. Proprietary identity hubs like Facebook, Google and Twitter will always stay relevant because of the benefits they provide through their systems (social graph, traffic via newsfeed entries, etc.). But Browns email idea could become plan b for startups that want to go completely password free for their logins.
Twitter CEO Dick Costolo in an interview on WSJ.com:
In its events push, Mr. Costolo said Twitter is vying to “more closely tie the shared experience on Twitter to the actual event that is happening.” As Twitter burnishes its platform, Mr. Costolo added that Twitter also wants to move away from companies that “build off of Twitter, to a world where people build into Twitter.”
There you have it. Because of the chosen ad based business model Twitter is moving from an offsite integration to onsite integration. If they go cracking down on clients from third parties and other apps they will almost certainly lose their prime position in the web ecosystem. Good for everyone else as Twitter had for a long time the almost sole attention of indie web developers looking for a web platform to build off on.
That is bad for Twitters long term outlook but the investors, who at this point almost certainly are the driving force behind the companys moves, are probably eyeing an IPO that comes right after the first big ad successes in numbers and before the probable meltdown of Twitters usage.
Interestingly Twitters biggest competitor Facebook is earning most of its revenues with advertisement but doesn’t seem to have a problem with offsite integration from Open Graph to clients.